Sunday, February 5, 2017

Stéréotypes

Bonjour tout le monde!

Following about what I said last week, when talking about differences, I think it is important to mention that there are similarities as well. I did want to point out the differences to create a picture of how I see the world on a daily basis, but these are not the only things that define people.  Yes, there are things that stand out from different cultures, subtle or not, but they are not the only factors when considering the nature of a person and place. An important thing to never forget is that with differences, there are similarities. There are a million and one ways in which the women I see in France and similar to me, and that is just as important as what stands out.

Along with this idea of focusing and grouping others on their differences, we are given stereotypes. Although I tend not to think much about stereotypes, nor do I choose to do my judgment of people based on a larger view, I still believe I must refute a common stereotype I have heard. Probably the most common stereotype I have heard from people, is that French people are rude. I find this statement hard to grasp, especially since I do not think people, more importantly French people, are just rude to everyone.

When coming into contact with people’s attitudes, the way someone acts towards use, is most likely a reciprocal on how you acted on them. Of course, you could be a sweet as a peach to someone and they could just be rude back, but basing an entire country on that is preposterous. After being here for a couple of weeks, I have learned that the possibly reason that we may think French people are rude are for two reasons. The first one is the language. We are in their country, so when we just assume that everyone knows English, it is like someone coming to America and speaking a foreign language. Of course English is a more prevalent language, but it is kinder to speak the native tongue, and not assume that everyone has to speak ours.

Another reason some people might think that French people are rude, is because they are not as open as Americans are. This is not good or bad, it just is. They do not trust people as much, so when someone is being kind to them, they thought may appear, “why are you being nice to me?” Therefore, I would not call their attitudes rude, just more hesitant, and there is nothing wrong with that. Actually, in the south of France, where I am now, I find the people here to be very pleasant. However, I do have to convey some stereotypes that are true. France has the best crepes. Actually, the best baguettes, croissants, pizza, tarts, basically anything that is a carbohydrate. I have to admit, that these rumors are true. Of course this is merely my opinion, and I am sure there are differentiating ones from different people. However, if you don’t believe me, come see for yourself!


Lastly, I thought I would give a recap of this past week! A week ago today, I visited Lyon, France with some friends from my school. We had an awesome time exploring Lyon in a peaceful and quiet season. Also, this weekend, we went to the French Alps to do some skiing, snowboarding, and hanging out! It has been a great three weeks, and I cannot wait for the weeks after!

À la semaine prochaine! 


The Ferris wheel in Lyon, France.


La Basilique Notre Dame de Fourière in Lyon.


My friends and I conquering the French Alps.


One of the highest views on the Alps.


Making sure I can prove that I skied in the French Alps.


No comments:

Post a Comment